A new soundtrack to meditation

For stress relief I've started meditating again. I did it for about a year and a half years ago, and stopped. You can read about how I meditated here.

Perhaps I should not be multitasking while I meditate, but I am. There are a few stances/poses that I want to practice. First is the Tai Chi horse stance, which looks like the left image in this picture:

Elements of this stance include: 1) keeping your feet just a bit more than shoulder width apart, 2) pointing your feet straight forward, 3) bending your knees but not so far that they go past your toes, 4) keeping your hips thrust forward, tucking your bottom, 5) crunching your abdomen a bit, and 6) pushing your lower back out.

It's apparently good for your back to do this, and it certainly strengthens your legs.

The other position I want to practice is the Japanese way of sitting indoors, called "seiza."



I find it a comfortable way to sit on the floor, but if you don't practice it your legs fall asleep easily.

I also want to practice the "asian squat," pictured below.

I picked this up in China. It's convenient when you're outside or in a dirty place and don't have a chair. If you practice it, it's comfortable and relaxing. Some people can nap in this position. Again, it is difficult (or impossible) without practice.

Finally, on the advice of my physical therapist, I like to lie on a foam roller.

I can do all of these things while meditating. I like to do them in five minute chunks, but it's really bad to constantly check the clock when you're meditating. So I made an MP3 of birdsounds that lasts about 27 minutes. Every five minutes there is a chime sound, and at the end of 25 minutes there is a gong telling you that you are finished. So in five minute intervals I practice 1) the tai chi stance, 2) the asian squat, 3) seiza, 4) the tai chi stance again (my legs are pretty tired by the end of this), and finally 5) lying on the foam roller.

Some believe that birdsong makes you relaxed. www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22298779
I don't know if this has been scientifically tested, though.

I used to do mantra meditation, but now I'm trying to think of nothing, focusing on the blackness I see when my eyes are closed.

You can download the track here:
 https://soundcloud.com/scjimmyd/meditation-with-birdsong-and-chimes

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Unknown said…
I've been meditating too. I've also experimented with chanting to maintain focus. I try not to multitask while doing it: defeats mindfulness, but I like your idea of practicing seiza and squatting. I've been using beeminder to track my progress and stay motivated. See you Saturday!

Popular Posts