2008 Book Wrap-Up

These are the books I read in 2008. You can see a list of all the books I've read (since I started keeping track in 1993) at

http://jimdavies.org/personal/books-read.html


The Universe in a Nutshell
by Stephen William Hawking

Love Hawking's books.


Storm Front
by Jim Butcher


Wonderful! About a wizard working in modern day Chicago.

Shopgirl
by Steve Martin

Surprisingly insightful and unique. Nice going, Steve Martin.

The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe by Stephen Hawking

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts

Inspiring book about traveling for long periods of time.

Obsession by Karen Robards

Popcorn, but quite compelling popcorn.

Who Wants to be a Scientist?: Choosing Science as a Career by Nancy Rothwell

The competition for the book I'm writing. Not as good as mine. So there.

The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

Interesting, but not a must-read.

The Best American Science Writing 2004 Edited by Dava Sobel

The books in this series are all good.

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge

Great vision of the future, uncompelling story. I kind of dragged through it, but I'm glad I have the vision. 

The Emotion Machine: Commonsense Thinking, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of the Human Mind by Marvin Minsky

Good book.

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander Mccall Smith

Very unique and entertaining.

The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

Inspiring and fascinating book, written by a douche-bag.

Next by Michael Crichton

Could not put it down, but ultimately kind of forgettable.

Death in Paradise by Robert B. Parker

I have no recollection of reading this.

Fantastic Voyage by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman

Actually made me try to eat less sugar.

When Things Start to Think by Neil Gershenfeld

Island by Richard Laymon

Couldn't put it down. Great.

The Best American Science Writing 2001 Edited by Timothy Ferris

Shrink Rap by Robert B. Parker

Barely remember this.

The Best American Science Writing 2000 Edited by James Gleick

Miss Gloucester City by Johannah Spero

My sister wrote this! So proud of her. It's based on my uncle and grandmother.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Very good overview of science.

***All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi

Fabulous book. I didn't have a clue how to deal with my finances before this book. Now I feel completely confident that everything's under control.

The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing by Judith L. Rapoport

Fascinating book about OCD. Just the first chapter should blow you away.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Frankly, I'm surprised that the book HERE'S THE STORY: SURVIVING MARCIA BRADY AND FINDING MY TRUE VOICE by Maureen McCormick is not on your list. It's a shocker - addictions to coke, Florence Henderson getting her boobs out, homosexuality, elder abuse, you name it. Riveting trash.

Popular Posts